Friday, May 4, 2007

If on a Winters Night a Traveler by Italo Calvino

Impossible to describe but this is Calvino’s masterpiece (in my humble opinion). A loosely intertwined series of ten stories told with a beauty and richness and leaves you wanting more. So takes Calvino’s advice and “Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought. Let the world around you fade.”

I had read this a few years ago and it was one of those books that always stayed in my head. I'd randomly think of different sequences or descriptions. So after many fond remembrances, I decided to re-read it (always a tricky proposition).

After it more than held up. While lacking some of the magical fascination thats comes from the first reading, it gained a depth and complexity. And I gained a deeper appreciation for the intracacy and genius.

Check it out on Amazon

No comments: